8.13.2010

5:08 a.m.

Eleanora has become accustomed to sleeping on my chest (and my husband's) throughout the night. We've also discovered that I stop breathing (while sleeping) whenever Eleanora misses a breath (she is most likely to die this way). I've been waking up exhausted. Sometimes gasping for air.

At 5:08 a.m. this morning I was awoken by Eleanora's lapse in breathing. After trying to arouse her several times--calling her name and rubbing her back--she didn't budge and wasn't breathing. I wrapped her in a blanket and began to get up to go get my husband.

I assumed she had passed. Just as I began to rise, she took a deep breathe. (Relief...)

I have to admit...it was surreal. In many ways I was on autopilot--just going through the motions. I kept thinking...I'm going to have to wake up the girls...how am I going to tell them?...I need to keep her body warm...how do we get to the funeral home...and so much more. I was simultaneously pleading...no, not now...I'm not ready for you to leave...please. It seems impossible to think that all these thoughts happened in the span of a few seconds...a few LONG seconds.

Nonetheless she began to breathe again. We had another day together.


2 comments:

  1. Eleanora is a miraculous little pixie! She has taught so many so much in such a very short time. Life is a gift!! Make each moment count. Take nothing for granted and love your children deeply, truly and totally. She inherits this from Braveheart Mom and Ababa Dad. Your philosophy: This precious time is but a sliver of our lives, but it is Her entire life. We will do absolutely everything possible to treasure each moment. And, so you have....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanora you have taught me to cherish the present. Thank you. Denise

    ReplyDelete