6.11.2010

You are my sunshine!

While the rest of the country slept through the night, I sat awake staring at our daughter who glowed like the sun. Conflicted with wanting to hold her and her need to be exposed to light therapy, I just sat and watched her. This was perhaps one of the hardest maternal instincts to overcome.

By this point we had not received any definitive diagnosis, but I was searching her physical features over and over again to offer some prelude of the news to come. I still had hope, although deep down I knew; I knew she most likely had a fatal genetic condition. During the pregnancy I spent days reading and educating myself in obstetrics and reviewing the latest medical literature. I knew what I was looking for, but alas I still had hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment